What should I see absolutely when I have only 1 day in Innsbruck?
The spectacular view from the top of Nordkette is something nobody should miss, even when you stay in Innsbruck just for a short while. If you start at 3 p.m. you still have time enough to enjoy the fantastic scenery on top of the mountain. The ride up and down takes only 30 minutes each, and the valley station of the cablecar is just a 5 minutes walk away from our hotel.
An absolute must is the historical Old Town with the Golden Roof. Other interesting sights in the center are the cathedral, the imperial palace, the museum of folk art and the famous court church with its black statues. And if you want to do some shopping, Maria Theresien Strasse is the place to go.
What can I do when the weather is not favourable to go up the mountains?
In this case we recommend a ride with the Sightseer bus. The whole round trip lasts 40 minutes and takes you to - among other places - comfortably to Bergisel ski jump and to Ambras castle. If you like you can get off and on at every stop, just as you wish!
Another fantastic place to visit is Swarovski Crystal Worlds, on of the most visited places of interest in whole Austria, easily reachable in ca. 30 minutes by shuttle bus from Innsbruck.
Where do you have the best view of the city?
1. from the Nordkette mountains: the view from 2.300 metres above sea of the city and the surrounding mountains is simply stunning
2. from Hungerburg: if you don't want to go up to the top, the first stop of the cablecar offers also beautiful views
3. from Bergisel Ski Jump: the city is literally at the foot of the ski jump
4. from the City Tower in Old Town: nice view of the Old Town, but first the more than 300 steps to the tower have to be climbed ;-)
5. from the bar 360° on the 7th floor in the town hall galleries: the best panoramic view of Innsbruck at night
3 good reasons to book Hotel Mondschein
1. location: better than this will be hard to find - in the very city center, just a few steps from Old Town
2. ambiance: our house has been renovated with love and offers typical atmosphere and coziness
3. people: our staff will welcome you with hearty friendliness. Most of them have been working with us for many years.
Where can I get typical Tyrolean specialties?
The largest selection of bacon, cheese and other local but also international delicacies is available at the Farmers' Market at the market hall, Monday to Saturday until noon. You can get good Tyrolean bacon in the Speckeria in the old town, strudel in many variations in the Strudel Café Kröll, fine schnapps and jams at Mair's Beerengarten.
How do I get around in Innsbruck?
Many places in Innsbruck can be easily reached on foot. The Sightseer bus is a comfortable way to get around and reach interesting places outside the city center such as the Bergisel Ski Jump and Ambras Castle.
A private shuttle bus runs several times a day to the Swarovski Crystal Worlds. Cycling is also very popular in Innsbruck, the cycle track network is well developed and bicycles can be rented. And by bus and tram you can get anywhere any time! Your free Welcome Card (up from 2 nights) includes public transport in the city center.
Innsbruck Card, Welcome Card - which card is the best for me?
The Innsbruck Card is a real All-inclusive-card. Buying this card means that you can visit nearly all attractions without paying extra: Nordkette cable cars and other cable cars, Hop-on Hop-off Bus "The Sightseer", busses and trams in the city, museums, Bergisel ski jump stadion, Swarovski Crystal Worlds and many places more. The card is available for 24, 48 or 72 hours.
With the Welcome Card you can explore the surroundings of Innsbruck. You can enjoy the landscape and the mountains or practice all types of sports. The card includes free bus rides in Innsbruck and several busses in the surroundings with its lovely villages as well as the participation in guides hiking tours in summer, the skibus in winter and the use of some cable cars. You will receive your Welcome card free of charge at our reception.
What does Innsbruck offer especially for children?
1. the alpine zoo, a highlight for the whole family: the alpine zoo is located above Innsbruck, quite close to the center and shows only animals which live in the Alps, such as wolves, brown bears, ibex, elks and many more. There is also a restaurant and a playground which your children will love!
2. at Seegrube top station you will find - especially in winter - lots of fun things for children: you can rent toboggans or let your children have their first attempts on skis.
3. Swarovski Crystal Worlds have a beautiful outdoor playground for children with a huge play tower with climbing nets, swings and slides.
4. Audioversum is an inter-active sound adventure world, designed especially for children.
5. Metropol cinema - directly beside our hotel - shows films for children every afternoon.
What cultural events does Innsbruck offer?
Innsbruck an eldorado for lovers of culture. Nearly every evening you have the chance to visit a cultural event. Some of the highlights in Innsbruck are: the promenade concerts in the courtyard of the imperial palace, every evening in July, New Orleans Jazz Festival, open air summer cinema, Innsbruck opera house and dance theatre, Festival of Early Music, classical concerts at House of Music concert hall and many more things.